Short of being invited to a John Birch Society confab, the only place these days one can see hardass, loser-mentality, radical conservatism (transl. right wing extremist fascism) on display, is at CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference). Jeebus, for a while this week I almost had the feeling I was staring into the innards of one of Hitler's Munich Beer Hall meetings! So much of the rhetoric was off the wall, I wondered how any sane American could participate in such a farce, then I remembered about 25% of us are Amerikkans!
A few of the more unusual highlights picked up during the week (no, I didn't follow it 24/7 or even 1/7):
- At the beginning of the week, Martin Bashir of MSNBC featured UK Guardian's Anne Marie Cox live at the CPAC. She was to have given the lowdown on a women's session. I.e. the Repups were to have discussed why they can't seem to grab a bigger slice of the female vote (hmmmm.....ever think that it's your policies, dingbats?). Alas, Anne Marie had to sign off as only five women had showed up at the time the session was to start. Maybe their honchos, like Michelle Malkin, ought to have brought some women in via binders!
- Mitt Romney showed up for a mini-"keynote speech" which mostly turned out to be a boring whine (and alas, his audience disclosed most of them were bored too, as they spent more time twittering or on their blackberrys) Mitt whined that IF only he'd been their president we wouldn't be seeing such a debacle going down in D.C. Well, one can't help but think it would have been a worse debacle.
- Assorted innominate, schizoid and paranoid delusionals -cum-morons parading on the stage and insisting the "Vietnam War could have been won". (To these fools I give the Perennial Historical Idiots award, as I did several years ago to a group of imps who declared National Socialism is the same form as Russian Socialism)
- Sarah Palin was greeted as the biggest rock star, well at least moreso than Mittens, but she didn't spend as much time bashing Obama as the old, white, male and the restless wanted. (She spent a lot of time singling out Karl Rove for opprobrium, for trying to reduce the influence of her 'Mavericks R-Us' bunch)
-Senator Jeff Sessions gave a public meltdown at Obama’s attempt "to destroy the best health care in the world.” The guy blathered: with indignation: "This is just one example of what happens in this country when people in Washington take on the arrogant view that they know how to fix the health care system -- one of the most massive, complex, marvelous systems the world has ever known.” Yeppers, Jeff, one of the most gouging, fleecing, wasteful in the world, ranked 37th by the WHO.
- Then there was Michelle Bachmann, who called for the repeal of Obamacare before it “literally kills women, kills children, kills senior citizens.” Well, let us senior citizens worry about that Michelle! Meanwhile, how about you admitting how much $$$ you took of stimulus money but have tried to hide?
Amazingly, to hear these rabid yokels and their standard bearer ( Reince Priebus) tell it, the GOP's foremost problem is to do with optics and marketing. They just aren't selling their misogynistic, xenophobic, wealthy biased policies the way they ought to be, to get the voters (so, no wonder they must resort so much to voter suppression). According to a report in the RNC's 100 page “Growth and Opportunity Project”:
"The Republican Party needs to stop talking to itself. We have become expert in how to provide ideological reinforcement to like-minded people, but devastatingly we have lost the ability to be persuasive with, or welcoming to, those who do not agree with us on every issue. Instead of driving around in circles on an ideological cul-de-sac, we need a Party whose brand of conservatism invites and inspires new people to visit us.”
Yeah, well, good luck with that, Sparky! But one word of advice: before you spend too much money on PR and marketing you may want to take a gander at those policies being actively promoted in numerous states right now, such as: the ones in 13 states now seeking to roll back Roe v. Wade, others trying to block legalization of civil unions, and others that continue to deal with immigrants in the format of "instant deportation". Oh, let's also not forget how the Reeps have blocked all sane gun control laws, especially to do with universal backgrond checks (which more than 60% of the public approves of) and limiting high clip magazines.
The choicest item to come out of CPAC, however, was the one (under the discussion header: 'Trump The Race Card: Are You Sick And Tired Of Being Called A Racist When You Know You’re Not One?” ) that insisted Democratic Party is the party of the KKK and the Confederacy whereas the Republican Party is the party of the Great Emancipator, Abraham Lincoln – taking no notice whatsoever of what’s gone down since the Civil War..
As one blogger put it:
"If Honest Abe appeared today and found himself surrounded by Republicans like Cantor, Ryan, Gohmert, Cruz and McConnell, he’d save John Wilkes Booth a bullet and shoot himself, instead"