Friday, December 1, 2023

Covid Now Strikes Janice - And In A Worse Way

                                                                          


I suppose it was only a matter of time before the Covid I got (likely last Wednesday), i.e.

Covid Strikes Even After 4th Booster Vaccine

would then infect Janice. But good grief, smacking her with such intensity! I mean from Wednesday morning she felt a scratchy throat - but by evening was wracked with full body aches and a 101.2 F fever. So fierce was the pain she could barely sit in her recliner and watch TV. By contrast, as I noted in the above link-post,  the only symptoms I had were mainly a loss of taste: first Thanksgiving night (with a turkey sandwich that tasted like cardboard) then the next morning with a Burger King double croissanwich b'fast nearly half of which I had to toss on account of absolute tastelessness.  I had considered not mentioning it at all to Janice, then thought the better of it.  This is given the first thing she thought of was Covid - despite already getting the 4th booster (both of us), e.g.

  • 4th Covid Booster - Brings Most Severe Side Effects...
  • In retrospect it's a damned good thing I did tell her as the home test exposed me as a Covid carrier, and who knows how long I'd had it.  But my best guess was from the Wednesday when I felt somewhat out of sorts and like my brain was off kilter. The result of that was overcooking the stuffing, and a few other snafus.(Forgetting to open the can of cranberry sauce, prepping Janice's baked potato.)  
  • But maybe the worst thing - and this is given I didn't then know I had the bug- preparing a red cabbage cole slaw for each of us.  This entailed finely slicing the cabbage, and a section of onion, then gathering each set up (by hand) and placing it into our respective bowls before adding Janice's superb cole slaw dressing.  So I suspect the initial transmission occurred via her eating the cole slaw I had prepared by hand. This as opposed to the alternative hypothesis of fomites' transmission, i.e. picked up by handling surfaces I had touched - like the remotes, dishes, phone -  on which were left infectious viral particles on inanimate 'debris'. See e.g.
  • Real-life lack of evidence of viable SARS-CoV-2 transmission via inanimate surfaces: The SURFACE study - PMC (nih.gov)
     This would explain her much more severe symptoms. Then a Covid test next        morning showed a very pronounced testing red line darker than the reference line, so indicating a high viral load.  So not only did I have a non-symptomatic case, but evidently I was a powerful vector for spread. This brought home to both of us how the Covid pandemic could have run wild in 2020 and ended up killing so many people - especially those who refused to get the vaccines and boosters like we did. Heck, had we played the fool I am sure both of us would be in the hospital now, likely intubated.

    Janice is in bed resting now after taking half an oxycodone she had left over from her last hip replacement. She has also been advised by her good friend, Muriah, to try to get as much rest, sleep as she can. And I plan to keep her fortified with chicken noodle soup.  

   The message again, as if it bears repeating, is not to take this virus lightly, or to gulp down the utter merde that moron RFK Jr. is trying to pass about vaccines. Indeed. Covid is still killing 1,000 per week, and hospitalizing 15,000 - as reported on an NBC news segment last night.  Again, getting the vaccines  and boosters (Moderna - which I had and Pfizer- which Janice had) doesn't guarantee you won't contract the virus - only that you likely won't end up intubated in an ICU.  

See Also:


And:


         Why You Are More Likely to Get Sick This Winter


             Excerpt:

                  Covid-19 is settling in as a wintertime fixture, and infections are expected to rise again as the weather cools and holiday gatherings pile up. The virus is on a collision course with the seasonal scourges of flu and respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, which are circulating again after the pandemic disrupted their spread.  The risk? More infections, more disruptions to schools, work and holidays and more strain on hospitals than before the pandemic. Covid has raised the baseline for winters to come. 


                And:


And:

No comments: