Monday, November 27, 2023

Covid Strikes Even After 4th Booster Vaccine - So What To Do Now?

                                                               

                                    "No! I know lots of folks got Covid from boosters!"

In truth, after getting our 4th Covid booster shots barely 6 weeks ago, i.e.

  • 4th Covid Booster - Brings Most Severe Side Effects...

  •    I really believed we'd be protected again from this virus that seems like it never wants to go away  - and just leave humanity to recover from a ghastly pandemic. One which has made a mess of brains/minds as much as it has bodies. But alas, it was not to be - and even after a booster with the most severe side effects (which Janice assured me meant my immune system was kicking in) I managed to get Covid.  How I did, who knows?   But two successive tests have revealed it's there which may explain for the fatigue experienced the past four days or so.  

   The odd symptoms began Thanksgiving night after I made a small turkey sandwich.  Trouble was I could barely taste a thing. It was almost like chewing cardboard.  I shrugged it off and went out next morning in a small snow storm to get some groceries - stopping first at the nearby Burger King to partake of their 'double croissanwich breakfast special for $5.99.  This included:  a sausage, egg & cheese croissanwich, a bacon, egg & cheese croissanwich, medium hash browns and coffee.  Sitting at a table, my newspaper open, I prepared to dig in as I was fairly hungry.  But to my horror, the first croissanwich tasted a bit like damp card board - which is to say tasteless. The hash browns also tasted like warm bits of something I couldn't recognize. And as for the bacon croissanwich, I ended up tossing most of it away.  
  
   After getting back from the store with the groceries, I related to Janice the experience at the BK with the twin sandwiches I found utterly tasteless. The first thing she said was: "We need to do a Covid test!"  I felt this a bit of an overreaction and told her I had considered not mentioning the taste anomaly at all, given I felt otherwise fine - even walking in 15F temperatures to BK and the Safeway store. She assured me she was glad I did mention it and promptly retrieved two of the 2 dozen Covid tests she'd  ordered barely 6 months ago.  

  The test consisted of using a swab to insert roughly ½   to ¾  inch in each nostril, rotate it around the interior 5 times, then do the next. After which the swab was placed into a card over which a reagent was dropped. After 15 minutes the card was checked and the sample window showed a faint reddish line below the much stronger red reference line. Janice said faint or not it was positive for Covid and we'd need to test again in 24-48 hours to confirm it. Well the next day, Saturday, she did and lo and behold the result was the same: a faint reddish line below the bold red reference line. I had bloody Covid 19!   

   This, of course, propelled us into the usual domain of what to do. First step was for Janice to then do the test and hers came out negative, no red line - faint or otherwise.

Though the bulk of experts advise isolation, there is little that can be done in regard to that in our home. Almost every living space – from the living room to family room is a conjoined, shared area i.e. with TVs, recliners, or couch etc.  The only real ‘isolated’ area is the upstairs 12 x 12’  guest bedroom-library - with my O2 machine. But being holed up there all day is a non-starter. No comfortable chairs, no working TVs and little room.

  So we have done the next best thing and separated our hand towels, dishes, utensils etc. and have sanitizer bottles all over the place to use. Say any time before I touch anything like the remotes or a light switch, or a coffee cup.  The main objective is to keep Janice from getting it.   How much longer do I have to "isolate", as in be grounded?  The same experts say 5 days, so we will see. I certainly am not feeling any symptoms say apart from a mild fatigue I experienced Saturday. But obviously the main objective here is to protect others, many of whom may not have had the boosters, or the starter vaccines.  
     
    As for boneheads (like the illustrious former Packer QB Aaron Rogers) who yelp:

     "See! I told ya so! Those boosters don't work they just make ya sick!"

       No, not at all. That fourth booster, awful as the side effects were, plus the earlier         vaccines, ensure I likely didn't end up intubated in the ER.  That was the whole            idea in getting them:  Not to prevent getting Covid, but rather prevent being                hospitalized in a critical care and intubated.  

          Anyway, just two more days and - barring any other symptoms- I can go out                again, and without any mask.  That includes rescheduling a urological                           appointment that had to be cancelled.
                  

            See Also:

           

         Why You Are More Likely to Get Sick This Winter


             Excerpt:

                  Covid-19 is settling in as a wintertime fixture, and infections are expected to rise again as the weather cools and holiday gatherings pile up. The virus is on a collision course with the seasonal scourges of flu and respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, which are circulating again after the pandemic disrupted their spread.  The risk? More infections, more disruptions to schools, work and holidays and more strain on hospitals than before the pandemic. Covid has raised the baseline for winters to come. 


                And:


               And:
              



            And:












    

No comments: